Temporary Activity Visa
This Visa allows you to come to Australia on a temporary basis to participate in one of the following activities:
Entertainment: work in the entertainment industry – in film, television or live productions in either a performance or behind-the-scenes role, such as directing, producing and other production roles
Invited participant in an event: For people who are invited for stays up to 3 months by an organisation operating in Australia to participate in a specific cultural or social event or events. For example, conferences, sporting, religious or other community events
Research: Academics with significant achievement in their field of endeavour who are invited to collaborate in a research project; or Students or research graduates who wish to undertake a research activity related to their field of study
Religious worker: To be a full-time religious worker, serving the religious objectives of a religious institution in Australia
Special program: To participate in an approved special program that provides opportunities for youth exchange, cultural enrichment or community benefits
Sport: Play, coach or instruct, or adjudicate under contract to an Australian sporting club or organisation. Participate in a high-level sports training program
To work in a skilled position under a reciprocal staff exchange arrangement to:
- Give participants an opportunity to experience another culture
- Enhance international relations
Broaden participants’ experience and knowledge
Superyacht crew: To be employed as a superyacht crew member on board a superyacht in Australia
To do full-time domestic work in the household of certain senior foreign executives
Government endorsed event: To participate in a government endorsed major event
- Have the skills to undertake the activity
- Be supported or sponsored
- Meet additional requirements of the stream
Length of Stay
- If invited by an organisation to participate in a specific event – 3 months
- If participating in Australian Government activities – 4 Years
- All other activities – 2 years
Who can sponsor individuals for a 408 visa?
The sponsor applicant must be one of the following types of individuals or organisations:
- Australian organisation
- Government agency
- Foreign government agency
- Religious institution
- Sporting organisation
For every 408 visa applicant, under any activity type, there must be a:
- ‘Sponsor’ who passes the sponsorship test in relation to the applicant; or
- ‘Supporter’ who passes the support test in relation to the applicant where the application is made offshore and the proposed period of stay is up to 3 months.
Who can get this visa
- Intend to stay in Australia for 3 months or less and apply offshore and you have the support of an Australian organisation or individual who has responsibility for the activity who passes the support test
- Intend to stay in Australia for more than three months and you are sponsored by an approved sponsor for this visa who passes the sponsorship test
- Meet all the requirements of the chosen activity type
- Have adequate financial support
- Have adequate arrangement for health insurance
- Meet health and character requirements
How long can they stay ?
The Temporary activity (sc 408) visa is a temporary visa that allows visa holder to stay in Australia for the period that aligns with the activities that they have been approved to undertake on this visa. The maximum stay periods allowed are:
- Invited participant activity type – up to 3 months
- Australian Government endorsed event activity type – up to 4 years
Any other activity type – up to 2 years
- Applicants need to do the work or activity specified in their application
- They can bring eligible family members with them to Australia
- Applicants may enter and leave Australia as many times as they want while their visa is valid.
Note: For some activity types such as superyacht crew members and special program participants, the stay period is usually no more than 12 months.
Temporary visa holders are generally not able to extend their stay in Australia beyond four years by applying for this visa.
The visa requires sponsorship if the applicant is in Australia or the applicant wishes to stay for a period of more than 3 months.
This activity type is for persons intending to work in the entertainment industry, including:
- performers for recorded and live performances activities undertaken in Australia
- production and support personnel for these activities.
These visas change depending on your location and circumstances, so find out what you are eligible for.
Fill our free online assessment form today and we will get back to you.