Skilled Regional Visa (Subclass 489)
The Skilled Regional(subclass 489) visa allows you to temporarily live and work in regional or low-population growth metropolitan area of Australia for up to four years. It is based on a points-based system and requires you to be sponsored by either a relative living in a designated area or a State / Territory government.
What is considered a regional or low-population growth metropolitan area of Australia?
Only certain locations are considered regional or low-population growth metropolitan area in New South Wales, Victoria, Western Australia and Queensland. The entirety of South Australia, Tasmania, ACT, NT and Norfolk Island are deemed ‘regional or low-population growth metropolitan area’ and eligible for 489 visa.
Pathway to qualify for 489 Visa
In order to qualify for this visa, you will need to meet a number of key requirements in the following:
- Be aged between 18 and 44 inclusive
- Must be either nominated by an Australian state or territory government agency or indicate that you will be sponsored by an eligible relative.
- Your occupation must be on the relevant 489 visa occupation list
- Lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) and be invited to apply
- Have positive skills assessment in your nominated occupation
- Meet the points test pass mark of 65 points or more
- Have competent English (i.e. IELTS score of 6 or more OR PTE score of 50 or more in each of the four components of the test – Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening OR an equivalent score in any other official English tests such as Cambridge Advanced English, Occupational English Test and TOEFL)
- Meet health and character requirements
Not have had a visa cancelled or a previous visa application refused since your last substantive visa you held, if you are in Australia.
Benefits of 489 Visa
- Stay in Australia for 4 years
- Right to work and study in a specified region of Australia
- Travel to and from Australia as many times as you want, while the visa is still valid
- Apply for permanent residence
Changes to 489 Visa
There has been an introduction of a new visa – Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (Subclass 491) that will replace the current State Sponsored Subclass 489 visa. This replacement will take into effect on 16 November 2019.
Although, at this stage, we do not know the full extensive details of the new 491 visa, we expect that this will be very similar to the current 489 visa in terms of eligibility requirements and advantages to applicants.
Fill our free online assessment form today to see if you are eligible for this visa and we will get back to you.