Skilled Independent 189 Visa
The Subclass 189 (Skilled Independent) visa is a permanent skilled visa that allows workers with skills to live and work permanently anywhere in Australia. It is based on points-based system and does not require any sponsorship by Australian state/territory governments or relatives in Australia.
There are two streams available under this visa:
- Points-tested stream.
- New Zealand stream for NZ citizen.
How to successfully apply for this visa?
In order to successfully apply for this visa, you will need to meet a number of key requirements in the following:
- Be aged between 18 and 44 inclusive
- Your occupation must be on a Medium to Long Term Skills List (MLTSSL)
- Lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) and be invited to apply
- Have positive skills assessment in your nominated occupation
- Meet the points test pass mark of 65 points or more
- Have competent English (i.e. IELTS score of 6 or more OR PTE score of 50 or more in each of the four components of the test – Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening OR an equivalent score in any other official English tests such as Cambridge Advanced English, Occupational English Test and TOEFL)
- Meet health and character requirements
- Not have had a visa cancelled or a previous visa application refused since your last substantive visa you held, if you are in Australia
How to score higher points in the migration points test?
You must be able to meet the minimum points test mark of 65 at the time you are invited to apply for this visa. However, it is important to be aware that obtaining a pass mark of ‘65’ does not guarantee an invitation to apply for a visa. When you submit your EOI, you will be ranked against other applicants and the invitation to apply for the visa is often granted to the highest ranked clients by points score in a particular invitation round. The higher your points are, the better your chances are of securing the 189 visa.
Currently, there are various ways to increase the score, of which includes:
- Scoring a higher score for English language requirement, up to 20 points
- Meeting the Australian Study Requirement
- Being accredited in a community language
- Partner skills
- Completion of Professional Year in Australia, and
- Australian work experience may also help in increasing the overall score.
Please also note that from 16th November 2019, there will be changes to the points test system which will benefit both singles and those who have a skilled spouse, such as:
- more points for having a skilled spouse or de facto partner (an increase from current 5 to 10 points);
- More points for having certain STEM qualifications (i.e. 10 points). STEM means qualifications in the field
of science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
- points for applicants who do not have a spouse or de facto partner (10 points); and
- Additional points for applicants with a spouse or de facto partner who have competent English (5 points).
Advantages of Subclass 189 visa.
- Stay in Australia permanently
- Enrol in Medicare
- Provides eligibility to apply for citizenship
- Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
- Travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted.
Fill our free online assessment form today to see if you are eligible for this visa and we will get back to you.