General Migration Questions

1. How long does it take to process a visa?

Visa application processing time varies based on type of visa you are applying for. Each application is different depending on your location and circumstances.

View average visa processing times here.

2. Which visa should I apply for and how much is the fees?

Contact us to know which visa is suitable in your situation. We excel in providing assistance in partner visas, skilled migration, visitor visas, training visas and family visas. Different applications have different Visa Fee.

3. How long does it take to get permanent residence visa to immigrate to Australia?

Permanent residence visa application processing time varies based on type of visa you are applying for. Each application is different depending on your location and circumstances. Book a Consultation with us to get time estimate on your case.

4. Can I include children on my visa application?

Yes, usually dependent children can be included on your visa application. However, married or independent children do not qualify.

5. Is it possible to bring my pets to Australia?

Yes, you can bring your pets. However, it requires extended periods of quarantine and is very expensive.

6. Can I apply for a visa on ground of merit in field of sports or arts?

Yes, if you have Distinguished Talent and an outstanding record of achievement in arts or sports you may consider application under this Subclass. You must be nominated by an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, an eligible New Zealand citizen or an Australian organisation of national reputation in the occupation, profession, or activity in which you have an outstanding talent. Your nominator should complete an application form and include a brief resume of their own standing in the field.

7. What qualifications do I need to apply for a visa?

Qualifications vary based on type of visa you are applying for. Check your eligibility now on Point Test Calculator.

8. What are English requirements to apply for a visa?

English language requirement varies depending on type of visa you are applying for.

View general English requirements here

9. Is health assessment mandatory?

Health assessment is standard procedure and must be cleared while applying for a visa.

10. Can I seek help from immigration authorities or Embassy to prepare my application?

No, Australian Government no longer provides this type of service. They mainly enforce immigration law, make decisions on migrant applications and issue visas. Usually, only Australian Registered Migration Agents like ourselves can provide this kind of service. Contact Us to know more about your situation.

11. Can my visa get rejected especially if I am applying on my own?

Yes, chances are it might be. Most applicants do not understand how strictly immigration laws are enforced and get stuck with unnecessary refusals or delayed grant because of technical errors in their application or by submitting incorrect/ incomplete documentation. Thus, it is advisable to seek professional guidance and advice from registered migration agents. Migration Centre of Australia is a leading organisation of registered migration agents and as such we are focused solely on Australian immigration and visa services.

12. Can I seek your migration services if I am already in Australia?

Yes, Migration Centre of Australia provides advice on various migration issues. We can assist you in extending your current visa, applying for a different visa, becoming a Permanent Resident of Australia, becoming an Australian Citizen etc. We also assist in situations where a visa has been refused, cancelled or your sponsorship application has been subject to refusal.

13. Do I have to pay separate Consultation Fees?

We charge one time AUD 99 fee for initial consultation with us on any migration situation that you may be facing. There is no charge for future consultation on the same matter.

14. What if I have a general migration enquiry and I do not want a consultation?

You can visit our website and access information on types of visas for migration to Australia. However, we recommend Booking a Consultation for complete assessment of your situation and identify which visa would be most suitable in your case.

15. Can I work in Australia?

Depending on type of visa and attached visa conditions, you may be able to work in Australia. It is important to know that some visas restrict the number of hours you can work per week and some do not permit you to work in Australia. To know more about working in Australia, Discuss your Case with us.

16. Can I study in Australia?

Yes, many visas allow you to study in Australia. Australia is regarded as an international education hub offering variety of courses suitable for all levels of education. However, it is important to choose most suitable visa depending on your location and circumstances. Contact Us to explore your options of studying in Australia.

View more information on student visas here.

17. Is it possible to become an Australian Citizen?

Yes, Australian Government allows granting of citizenship to migrants based on a number of factors. The Australian Citizenship Act 1948 provides information regarding acquisition of Australian citizenship.

Book a Consultation with us to know more.

18. Can I come to Australia while my migration application is being processed?

Yes, visitor visa allows you to come to Australia provided you intent to stay for a short visit or a holiday. However, these visas are not intended to provide residence in Australia if you are awaiting outcome of your migration application.

19. If I am in Australia can I be granted my migrant visa?

No, for grant of migrant visa you must be outside Australia. You must depart and subsequently return to Australia so that visa is granted and evidenced in passport. However, it is not necessary to return to the country where the application was filed.

20. Can I get my health assessment done in Australia?

Yes, if you are temporarily in Australia you can approach an office of the Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs to collect the medical forms (Form 26 and Form 160) and details on approved doctors and radiologists. Mention your file reference and send your sealed medical results to relevant officer. Alternatively, you can register at and complete formalities online.

21. Are original documents required with my application?

For temporary migration, original documents are usually not required. However, for permanent migration applications original documentation may be required.

22. Do I have to submit my passport along with application?

Usually, you DO NOT have to submit passport to make a valid application. However, for temporary migration applications (except Retirement visa applications) you should provide your passport with at least 2 unused pages.

23. Can I travel to Australia at any time after grant of visa?

You must travel to Australia before the initial entry date stated on your visa. This date is calculated based on the validity of your health and character clearances which are usually valid for 12 months only. If you do not enter Australia by the initial entry date, you are in breach of visa grant condition which may lead to cancellation of your visa.

24. What will happen if I am unable to travel to Australia before the initial entry date on my visa?

In order to activate the visa for its full term (usually 5 years) you must travel to Australia before the expiry of the initial entry date. However, it is not required that you settle permanently in Australia before the expiry of the initial entry date, provided you have made at least one trip to Australia before the initial entry date. There are exceptions to this general rule and if you would like to know more, Discuss Your Case with us.

25. What is a bridging visa?

Bridging visas allow you to stay in Australia while you are awaiting processing of a visa application or to provide lawful status while you make arrangements to depart Australia.