Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485)
The Temporary Graduate subclass visa 485 is for international students who have recently graduated from an Australian educational institution. The visa allows eligible students to live and work in Australia after their studies for up to 4 years.
Students are only able to access the Subclass 485 visa once as a primary applicant. The 485 visa does not require the support of an employer sponsor, an Australian relative sponsor or a nominating State/Territory.
The subclass 485 contains two (2) streams:
- Graduate Work stream
- Post-study Work stream
Which Stream would be suitable for me?
Each stream has different eligibility requirements.
Please find below the relevant criteria:
Graduate Work stream
- Be under 50 years of age
- Meet the Australian 2-year study requirement
- You must nominate one occupation on the Medium and Long-term Occupation list that is closely related to that occupation
- Have positive skills assessment
Post-Study Work stream
- Unlike applicants in the Graduate Work stream, applicants in the Post-Study Work stream are not required to nominate an occupation
- Meet the Australian study requirement
- Must hold an eligible qualification at degree-level or above
Note:The length of your stay in Australia will depend on the level of your Australian study qualification.
Am I eligible for 485 Visa?
You must meet the general requirements as follows:
- Must be under 50 at the date of application
- Overall IELTS score of at least 6 with a minimum score of 5 for each of the 4 parts
- Must meet 2 year study requirement
- Must meet health and character requirement
- Not have had a visa cancelled or a previous application refused
When can I apply?
The Temporary Graduate (subclass 485 visa) must be applied within 6 months of your course completion.
If you meet the general requirements and you have recently completed your studies in Australia then you may consider lodging your application. Processing times vary anywhere between 4 months to 5 months but every situation is unique. Many factors determine the length of time taken to grant a visa. Most importantly is lodging a complete ‘Decision Ready’ application.
Benefits of Subclass 485 visa
- No study or work restriction
- You can stay up to Australia anywhere between 18 months to 4 years (depending on the stream you apply for)
- Travel, study and work in Australia during your stay
- It lets them live, work and study in Australia temporarily after they have finished their studies.