An ImmiCard is an official travel document that allows certain visa holders to travel to Australia and enter the country for the first time. It is issued to eligible visa holders who do not have and cannot obtain a passport recognised by the Australian Government. In other words, it assists visa holders to provide evidence of their (COI) Commencement of Identity in Australia and permits access to government services for certain visa holders.
Two Types of ImmiCards:
- Evidence of Immigration Status ImmiCard
- Australian Migration Status ImmiCard
Eligibility for Evidence of Immigration Status ImmiCard
- Be in Australia, AND
- Be a holder of one of the following visas –
- Bridging (Removal Pending) Visa (Subclass 070)
- Bridging (Trafficking) Visa (Subclass 060)
- Bridging Visa E (Subclass 050 or 051) granted to illegal maritime arrivals
- Humanitarian Stay (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 449)
- Permanent Protection Visa (Subclass 866)
- Safe Haven Enterprise Visa (Subclass 790)
- Temporary (Humanitarian Concern) Visa (Subclass 786)
- Temporary Protection Visa (Subclass 785), OR
- Be a holder of a Document for Travel to Australia or Visa Evidence and are replacing it, OR
- Be an undocumented immigration detainee without a visa, OR
- Be a permanent resident who arrived in Australia before 1990, who does not have, or cannot obtain a passport and are unable to use Visa Entitlement Verification Online system (VEVO)
Eligibility for Australian Migration Status ImmiCard
- Be outside Australia
- Be a holder of Refugee visa or Special Humanitarian Programme visa
To apply for an ImmiCard as a holder of Permanent Protection Visa (Subclass 866), Safe Haven Enterprise Visa (Subclass 790), and Temporary Protection Visa (Subclass 785) granted in the last 3 months, submit your visa grant letter and most recent photo identification. After you complete and submit the online application, the Department usually takes 14 days to process your application.
There is no fee for issuing ImmiCards to new humanitarian and protection visa holders if issued within 3 months from the grant of the visa. For other visa holders, there is a fee of AUD $100 for issuing a new or replacing the ImmiCard. The fee for replacing an ImmiCard due to loss, damage or expiry is AUD $30.
For more information or any migration assistance, Get In Touch with us or call us on (02) 4626 100 to speak to one of our Registered Migration Agents.